Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mall Fountains Signal that Spring has Come to Charlottesville's Downtown Mall

It is April 1, and I was delighted to see that three of the four fountains on the Charlottesville Downtown Mall were operating. I wrote an article for the HooK published on Feb. 15, 2007 in my first Squeaky Wheel column about the need to get our fountains working again after their being dry for some time even then. It took a while, but Mike Svetz of the city's Parks and Recreation Department promised to get them working and succeeded after some pump repair.

But, drought conditions interrupted the fountain season and then they were all turned off for the winter. I am hoping this will be a full season for enjoying the fountains.


The three fountains on the mall that were operating are at Central Place, Miller's cafe space, and outside Eppies. The round fountain by Chap's was wet, but wasn't operating. I am hoping it just needs some minor pump cleaning or some similar maintenance operation to get it working regularly, too.




The fountains are very high on my list of what I like about the mall. The fountains along with the daffodils and tulips are my signals that spring has come to charlottesville. Lets hope the fountains will be on until late fall - long after the daffodils and tulips have gone.

1 comment:

Douglas Turner Day said...

I'd really like to see the chains removed from the Central Place fountain. They completely destroy the aesthetic.

One of the best things about fountains is that they produce a beautiful white noise that is very soothing.